The Beat the Backlist challenge is hosted by Novel Knight, and the aim is to get through the stacks of books on our TBR that get forgotten about when new releases come out! Only books released prior to 2018 count for this challenge.
I took part this year and managed 56 backlist titles – 60% of my reads this year. Next year is going to be a very big year personally, so I’m setting my reading goals a bit lower for 2018. I’m setting my goal for this challenge at 48 backlist titles, which although a lower number than this year will probably work out as more than 60% of my reads next year. I hope that makes sense!
I’m not sure exactly what I’ll be reading but there are plenty of series I want to work on – which is exactly what I said when I signed up for the 2017 challenge! I worked on quite a few this year (The Dresden Files, Game of Thrones, Feedback, Grisha, The Dark Artifices and probably some more I’ve forgotten!). I’d like to keep focusing on series as part of this challenge, and while I might not get to all of these, I’m hoping to work on some of them!
- The Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong – book 8+
- Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
- The Heroes of Olympus/Kane Chronicles/Magnus Chase/Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan
- The Obsidian Throne by J.D. Oswald
- In Death series by J.D. Robb – books 31+
- Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith – books 2+
- The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
I’ve been assigned to the Novel Knights team and I’ll be doing my best to earn points for the team throughout the year.
What counts for points?
- Reading a backlist book
- Posting a review of a backlist book to a RETAIL website
- You can submit reviews you’ve written for books that you read before the challenge started as long as you didn’t post the review before Jan. 1, 2018.
The fact you can get points for reviewing backlist books you’ve already read as well might help with my NetGalley score too!
The aim of this challenge is to visit and COMMENT on 365 blogs throughout the year. I was pretty rubbish at tracking this one this year, so I’m determined to do better next year! I’ll be focusing on book blogs, but since I read about other things and want to blog about other things, I’ll be counting non-bookish blogs too.
Ellie is hosting a Science Fiction vs Fantasy Bingo challenge for 2018, and you can bet I’m joining in! Sci-fi and fantasy are my favourite genres, though I find myself reading more fantasy recently. I’m determined to increase my sci-fi reading though, and I’m just going to aim to hit as many of these squares as possible throughout the year!
One of my goals for the Bookish Resolutions challenge is to finish 15 series in 2018, so I’ll be aiming for the A-List level, though I don’t yet know which series I’ll be tackling first!