Back in 2013 and 2014, I took part in the Seriously Series Reading Challenge hosted by Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal and loved it. Kelly doesn’t run the challenge anymore, and I haven’t yet found another challenge that speaks to my competitive soul quite so well, so I thought I’d try hosting one!
Knock some of those series off your TBR list! Series you started then forgot about, series you’ve fallen behind on, series you want to reread or series you’ve always said you’ll pick up and failed to, anything goes!
How does it work?
There are two different ways to participate, depending on what you fancy, either levels (like most reading challenges) or points.
Choose this level if:
- You just want to knock off as many series as possible
- You aren’t fussed about counting series with only 1 book left to read
- You’re more interested in beating your own target than beating someone else (I admire you, you healthy, wholesome soul)
Any series where you read 2 or more books to finish/get up to date counts.
- Level 1 – 1-3 series
- Level 2 – 4-6 series
- Level 3 – 7-10 series
- Level 4 – 10-15 series
- Level 5 – 15-20 series
- Level 6 – 20+ series
Example participant: Luna has a huge backlist of series where she needs to read 2 or more books because she has a tendency to read the first book and then get distracted. She’s not interested in competing with anyone else, she just wants to read as many as possible. She signs up for Level 3, reads to her heart’s content, occasionally blogs about it maybe, and generally does her own thing.
Choose this level if….
- You’re a competitive soul
- You don’t mind doing a little bit of maths
- You want series where you’ve only got 1 book left to read to count
ANY book in a series counts.
- 1 point for every book in a series you read or re-read
- 3 points for finishing a series in it’s entirety or getting up to date as the series stands on 31st December 2019
- 3 extra bonus points if you had to read 3 or more books to finish the series
Example participant: Draco has a long list of series he was up to date with before the whole 6th year drama and now just needs 1 book to catch up with. He wants them to count, and he’s competitive so likes the idea of earning more points.
- Ginny wants to get up to date with Throne of Glass. She’s read the others before 2019 so just needs to read Kingdom of Ash. Reading it would get her 4 points (1 for the book + 3 for finishing a series).
- Harry wants to reread The Lord of The Rings. Reading them would get him 9 points (3 for the books (1 each) + 3 for finishing a series + 3 for reading 3 or more books).
Novellas, short stories etc
If you want to count them, count them. If you don’t, don’t!
When do sign-ups end?
You can sign up anytime until December 1st.
Two giveaways, both at the end of the year. One randomly drawn from all participants. One based on points (the same way the Harry Potter month giveaways have worked for any former participants): the more points you get, the more entries you get into the giveaway.
I’m signing up for the points level: do I just aim for as many points as possible or set a target?
Totally up to you; if you want to set a target go for it, but if you’d rather just see how many you can get that’s totally fine too.
Can I change my level or points target?
Yes! You can increase your level/target as many times as you like, whenever you feel like it. I’d discourage you from dropping down levels (you were ambitious enough to choose the goal so go for it!) but sometimes life gets in the way so if you need to go down, you can.