While I’m on my short blogging break (I’m coming back soon I promise, just thinking about where I really want to go with the blog before 2013), I thought I’d join in and take the End of Year Book survey hosted at The Perpetual Page-Turner.
1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
Best books for Review: Always & Forever / 0.4 / Crewel
Best books from my personal choices: The elephant Whisperer / The Scorpio Races / A storm of Swords part 1
Best tour book: Without a doubt – Phantom
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
A Clash of Kings – Once I finally got into A Game of Thrones I was so excited, but I found A Clash of Kings long and slow going. It felt like a lot of filler, with little actually happening.
Clockwork Angel – I enjoyed the Mortal Instruments and everyone raved about Clockwork Angel, but I couldn’t get into it at all. I found the whole thing dragged and was far too like the Mortal Instruments in terms of characters.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Always and Forever, by Karla J. Nellenbach, which I really didn’t expect to love an d did, even though it’s sad and realistic (and my default reading choice is usually fantasy).
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
Divergent, I think!
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
The Rain Wild Chronicles
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
0.4 – I don’t usually read sci-fi, but this was too intriguing to pass up and I really enjoyed it.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
A Storm of Swords part 1 – so many twists.
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Probably Scent of Magic or The Dragon Keeper – I find both Maria V. Snyder and Robin Hobb books are great, comforting reads when I want to re-read and chill out.
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Maybe Nora Sutherlin from The Siren, or of course The Imp, from A Song Of Ice and Fire.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Always & Forever.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Always & Forever and Twelve Months
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
A Clash of Kings
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
The Elephant Whisperer: “But perhaps the most important lesson I learned is that there are no walls between humans and the elephants except those that we put up ourselves, and that until we allow not only elephants, but all living creatures their place in the sun, we can never be whole ourselves.”
The Siren: “Nora— Forgive me for copyediting, but it must be said—you have raped the semicolon yet again. Stop it. It wasn’t asking for it no matter how it was dressed. If you don’t know how to use punctuation then do away with it altogether, write like Faulkner and we’ll pretend it’s on purpose.”
Bite me, Easton, Nora said to herself as she corrected her sexually compromised semicolon in chapter eighteen. Seriously, bite me.”
Haunted: “You’ll wrest a burning sword from an angel, but you’re afraid of bats?”
“I’m not afraid of them. I just don’t like them. They’re…furry. Flying things shouldn’t be furry. It’s not right. And if I ever meet the Creator, I’m taking that one up with him.”
“That I’d like to see. Your one and possible only chance to get the answer to every question in the universe, and you ask, ‘Why are bats furry?'”
“I will. You just wait.”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Definitely definitely definitely, A Storm of Swords part 1! I’ve been nagging my boyfriend to hurry up and read it ever since so that I can talk about it!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Wording this carefully because I don’t want to give away any big spoilers! The Hound’s strange, mostly implied, but very intriguing relationship.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
The Dragon Keeper – Robin Hobb
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else: