Taking part in Jamie’s End of Year Survey and also looking at my stats for the year are two of my absolute favourite things to blog about. I’m a little late this year, but better late than never right?!
Number Of Books You Read: 105 [65 in 2015]
Number of Re-Reads: 4 (Turns out I actually re-read Red Rising twice, Golden Son & Queen of Shadows) [9 in 2015]
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy (44 books) [33 Fantasy books in 2015]
1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Harry Potter & The Cursed Child – I’m a massive fanfiction fan, but I’ve never been a fan of the next-gen stories, and I wasn’t at all keen on a story about the children. I’ve always said I’d happily ignore the epilogue because I much prefer fanon ships to canon ones, but I ended up enjoying Harry Potter & The Cursed Child a LOT more than I thought I would, and I loved Scorpius (I’m still a Dramione/Drarry shipper at heart though!).
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I’m not sure, but maybe Reasons to Stay Alive. I love Matt Haig!
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
Series starter – Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Sequel – Empire of Storms
Series Ender – Morning Star or The Raven King
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Probably Jodi Picoult’s Small Great Things. I don’t read a lot of contemporary fiction but I’m always drawn in by Picoult’s books, and I think this was one of her best yet. I also loved Born To Run despite the fact I don’t read a lot of non-fiction, and certainly not about sports!
An unexpected choice, but I absolutely could not put down What’s a Girl Gotta do? My first Holly Bourne book and although not something I would normally go for, I was hooked!
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Morning Star, without a shadow of a doubt! My other half is planning to read it this year so I can’t wait to re-read it and talk about it with him. Also hopefully A Court of Thorns & Roses/A Court of Mist & Fury ready for the third book in the series.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
Either Harry Dresden or Leo Valez.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Laini Taylor’s writing is just stunning.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
Reasons to Stay Alive. Without getting into too many personal details, it pushed me to acknowledge a few things, handle some of my emotional ups and downs and take some steps I needed to.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read?
Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Mistborn & Percy Jackson & The Last Olympian.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
(Wow, I have got to find a better way to track these, because every year I get stumped by this question!)
An inspirational one – ” “If you can’t be unafraid, Henry said, be afraid and happy.” ” – The Raven King
A romantic one – “Even when this world is a forgotten whisper of dust between the stars, I will always love you.” – Empire of Storms
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
The shortest was a Harley Quinn & The Suicide Squad Special edition, which actually comes up on GR as 0 pages?!
The longest was Empire of Storms at 693.
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
Morning Star 🙁
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Albus Severus & Scorpius and no one can stop me. So there.
Failing that, Ronan & Adam.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Blue and the Raven Boys
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Small Great Things & Morning Star
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
A Court of Thorns & Roses (thanks Micheline!)
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Hmmm…. Not sure about this one!
23. Best 2016 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
A Court of Thorns and Roses had some seriously vivid settings going on.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
The whole Magic 2.0 series had me genuinely laughing out loud.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
What’s a Girl Gotta Do.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Remade – Alex Scarrow. I really enjoyed this, but I haven’t seen much feedback for it.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Hmmm…. Probably Empire of Storms.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
The Magic 2.0 series. Time-travel, computer-based wizardry and fantastic audio narration.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Running with Rhinos – and sadly, it was because I didn’t like it.
Favorite review that you wrote in 2016?
Probably the one for Fool’s Quest (Robin Hobb).
Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I aimed to read 104 books this year, which I managed (105), but I didn’t manage to get my NetGalley ratio up to 80% as I’d hoped.
One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
Throne of Glass #6, A Court of Wings & Ruin and Assassin’s Fate.
One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
Balance everything better (i.e. in 2016 I did zero gaming) and also diversify in terms of the things I blog about, post about non-bookish things as well as bookish ones.